Lights in your home may brighten when receiving too much voltage, and dim when receiving too little.
Many bulbs can’t handle the increase in voltage or faulty wiring near them and burn out in their sockets. The same goes for some power points. Look for signs of burning around the sockets, and discoloration on the surface.
Old fuses aren’t built to take the load and stress that modern appliances put on them. If you find your fuses are blowing regularly, you may need to rewire and/or upgrade your switchboard.